Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tip for Moms


Jordyn has had a cough that gets much worse at night for the last week. She is not sleeping at night because of it, which means I am also not sleeping at night. This is fine with me since I am up most of the night for bathroom breaks anyway, but I hate that she is not getting a good night's sleep. Anyway, last night after an hour of non-stop coughing, I got desperate! My grandma had mentioned that she heard rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub on the bottom of their feet and then putting socks on them will stop the cough. It seemed silly to me, but I actually found myself at Family Fare at 11:00pm buying Vicks Vapor Rub last night. I ended up trying it on Jordyn. It was a little scary for me since I am one of those paranoid moms who always follows the doctor's or medicine label's directions and my doctor did not recommend and the label said for children over 2 years. So of course after I applied the Vapor Rub I sat up with her for a little while to be sure she didn't have any reactions. I also sat up for another hour after putting her back down listening for her breathing on the monitor and checking on her every so often before I could finally sleep. Yes, I know, PARANOID! Anyway, I have to report that the Vicks worked wonders. She didn't cough even one more time!! She slept until 8:30am.......a good night's rest!

Ahhhh....now if only I could get a good nights rest!

8 comments:

heidi said...

ooo thank you! I've been putting it on Bradon's chest but it doesnt work that well, I'll have to try the feet tonight:)

Katy said...

Give it a try Tam. Maybe it works on preggos too!

The VanderZwaags said...

If it makes you feel better...I have done that on Morgan before. My dr. actually suggested it!!! :) Hope things are going well over there...a few more days until Little Velderman makes his appearance!!!

Tiffany Kraker said...

I love vick's, it works wonders when you are sick.

Even if you just have a stuffy nose, if you put a tiny little bit on the tip of your nose you can suddenly breath normal... it's great!

Hopefully you and Jordyn get to feeling better soon. :)

Jen said...

I will have to try that the next time a cough/cold comes around. Don't worry...you're not paranoid, you're just a great mom who loves her daughter very much ;)

Kristin Woudwyk said...

i've never heard of such a thing! thanks for sharing. hope jordyn feels better soon-it's so hard seeing your little one sick.

Sarah said...

Seriously? On her feet! I've never heard of that...but I'm certainly going to try it next time one of my kiddos has a cough! Only Grandma K. would know such a thing! :) (I'm assumming it was Grandma K. that told you so).

Jenny said...

Great tip! I'll have to get some Vick's to have on hand. Also, glad to know that I'm not the only mom who stays up at night watching her baby breath!